Koala Conservation Australia Limited
Koala Conservation Australia (known as Port Macquarie Koala Hospital) is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information which the organisation collects, holds and administers.
When dealing with your personal information we observe the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles, as well other relevant State legislation.
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, store, disclose and de-identify your personal information.
2. Collection of personal information
The kinds of personal information that we may collect and hold about you include those listed here:
- Identifying information, such as your name, address, and date of birth.
- Contact information, such as your address, email, and telephone number(s).
- Records of our interactions with members, supporters or donors.
- Financial information, such as credit card, bank account or other payment details.
- Details of products or services that we provide to you
- Expressions of interest to volunteer or membership aspects such as type, commencement, and status.
- Volunteer members qualifications and skills, and health issues that may impact their volunteer role, as advised to us by the person or their medical practitioner.
We collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for our organisational functions and delivery of goods and services.
3. Why we collect personal information
We collect information about staff, potential volunteers or those who become members of Koala Conservation Australia. This allows us to have information to select staff and volunteers and once employed or accepted as members, to manage the human resource functions of the organisation.
We collect information about people to allow us to provide goods or services, allow access to our facilities, or to accept support and donations. We will use this information to meet their requests, communicate with them, introduce them to our organisation, inform them of the work we do and encourage donations so we can continue to embark on our projects.
We do not use the information in any way other than in the furtherance of fundraising or other support for our organisation. We generally collect the information we need to deliver and improve the services we provide. This includes processing donations, providing receipts, maintaining accurate details of our donors' history and sending information about our work.
We may also use personal information for the following purposes:
- for the immediate reason for which the information has been provided to us (for example, to enable us to process a request, payment, membership registration, subscription, etc.)
- to maintain contact with people about our work, to report about our work, or to encourage people to learn about what we do
- any other purpose directly related to our work and for which the information has been provided.
We may also use visual images of staff or volunteers. People may advise us if they do not agree to use of their images.
We do not rent or sell personal information.
4. How we collect personal information
We collect personal information about supporters, donors, potential volunteers, employees, members and visitors to our facilities and events. We collect your information in the following ways:
- volunteer expressions of interest
- membership applications
- staff applications and employment
- donor and supporter advice
- paper or electronic applications for goods or services
- periodic online surveys or website enquiries
- via social media messages
- during phone calls
- voicemail or image recordings. (Security cameras may record your image whilst attending the organisation’s premises.)
- whilst delivering and administering services at our facilities
- visitor booking information
- forms and other correspondence (both in writing and electronically)
5. How we use your information
We will use personal information to keep people informed of our activities, including sending out newsletters and electronic communications. We may also use information to contact people to advise of our work or fund-raising activities.
We also use personal information for the for the purpose(s) for which it was collected, as outlined above, or as otherwise permitted by law.
We will not disclose the above information that we collect to affiliates or third parties without consent.
6. Accessing and correcting your personal information
You can access your information by asking us. Occasionally, we may need to refuse your request to access information, for example, where granting you access would infringe someone else’s privacy.
When you request access, we will ask you to provide some form of identification so that we can ensure that you are the person to whom the information relates.
We are committed to ensuring that the information we hold is accurate, complete, and up to date, so we encourage you to advise us if the information you have given us has changed.
If you believe our information is inaccurate, please contact us and we will correct the information.
You have the option to not identify yourself or use a pseudonym subject to other relevant laws (eg those relating to Covid-19 entry requirements). However, this may affect our ability to provide goods and services to you. Should you wish to remain anonymous or use a pseudonym please advise us.
Should you wish to no longer receive information or marketing material from our organisation you may advise us to remove your details from our mailing list.
A person may request access to or amendment of their information by notifying the Secretary by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in writing, to The Secretary, Koala Conservation Australia, PO Box 236, Port Macquarie NSW 2444.
The Koala Hospital will respond to any request within a reasonable period after the request is made, this period should not exceed 30 calendar days.
In some cases, we may also ask you to pay a reasonable fee to cover the cost of access.
7. Storage and security of personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure the security of personal and sensitive information we hold and to protect it against loss, misuse or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification, or disclosure.
Our IT systems are protected and comply with applicable security standards.
Only authorised personnel are permitted to access these details.
Credit card details taken online is encrypted and if taken by other means it is destroyed after 28 days. All other personal information is destroyed once there is no longer a legal or business need to retain it.
We generally store the personal information that we collect in electronic databases. Some of these databases may be held on our behalf by third party data storage providers. These third-party data storage providers are not overseas. We may also keep hard copy records of personal information in physical storage facilities.
8. Complaints and queries
If you are concerned about how we have collected or managed your personal information we request email details of your complaint to email@example.com mail to The Secretary, Koala Conservation Australia, PO Box 236, Port Macquarie NSW 2444.
In order to effectively address your complaint, we may request further information from you about your complaint and the reasons behind it.
After we have received all the information we need from you, allow us approximately 30 calendar days to address your complaint. If you are not satisfied with how we have handled your complaint you can also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) at http://www.oaic.gov.au/. The OAIC is a government body independent of us. It has the power to investigate complaints about possible interference with your privacy.