Port Macquarie Koala Hospital is a not-for-profit facility, and not only do we treat sick and injured koalas, but we are also involved in conservation, education and research into koala diseases and habitat. Over the last few years scientific research and collaboration with research institutions, government agencies and wildlife organisations, has grown, and we have become an authoritative body in the care and rehabilitation of koalas. The profile of the Koala Hospital is becoming increasingly more renowned and widespread and we can offer an amazing International Volunteer program.
Our International Volunteer Experience program runs for a period of one calendar month, and the content is designed to give overseas volunteers a well-rounded experience in the work of the Koala Hospital.
If you are selected as a volunteer, you can expect to:
- be trained in caring for koalas
- attend koala rescues and releases if they occur on your shift
- watch and/or assist with some clinical procedures
- attend a postmortem (optional)
- attend one of our external educational presentations
- experience work on our 2 plantations
- learn about the overall work of the Koala Hospital
What we will also do for you is to:
- provide the resources for you to learn about the hospital and koalas
- help you with accommodation information
- meet you at the airport/bus station when you arrive in Port Macquarie
- provide you with an information pack
- provide a buddy/go to person for any information or help you may need during your placement
- provide information about visa requirements
- provide insurance cover for you while working at the Koala Hospital
- provide you with a Koala Hospital polo shirt
- make your placement with us informative and enjoyable
The cost of this program is A$650. If you are selected to participate in the International Volunteer Experience Program, 50% of the fee will be payable when your application is accepted.
NOTE: Due to the publicity that the Koala Hospital received because of the bushfires in late 2019 and early 2020, we were inundated with requests to volunteer from around the world.
In March 2020 we had to cancel all bookings made for 2020, due to Covid19, and recently we made the decision to cancel all international placements for 2021 until travel and quarantine restrictions are lifted and world travel normalises.
For international volunteers who were booked for 2020 and 2021 we will endeavour to re-schedule your placement once we know when we can restart the program.
In 2019 the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital was awarded a major grant to build a brand-new hospital on our current site. Work on the architectural plans has already been started and it is very likely that work at the hospital will be disrupted over the next 2 to 3 years. With the donations received from all over the world as a result of the bushfires, we will also be starting a wild koala breeding program at a new facility. With the disruptions that may occur with the redevelopment our international volunteer program may also be impacted.
SO, WITH THE BUILDING OF THE NEW HOSPITAL AND BREEDING FACILITY PLUS TRAVEL AND QUARANTINE RESTRICTIONS, WE ARE UNABLE TO ACCEPT ANY MORE APPLICATIONS FOR THE TIME BEING. HOWEVER, WATCH THIS SPACE AS WE WILL BE UPDATING INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND ADVISING WHEN WE CAN ACCEPT MORE APPLICATIONS.
If you have any queries about the program please contact the Hospital Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org